Alvin Lee's advice

"Stay Humble. Stay Hungry. Stay Positive."

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Felipe Smith’s Take on Manga


   Felipe Smith is a comic artist. If I need to speak "plain English", then fine. He's a manga artist or mangaka  *rolling eyes*  His works are not for under 18-year-olds, I just want to make that very clear.
   I've been following this guy since 2005, when Comcast on demand was loaded with anime titles and comic-con clips could be seen, you had some decent look of what was going on at the con. He was featured in one clip where he was interview for being runner-up in Tokyopop’s Rising Stars of Manga competition.  His comic, MBQ was published in 3 volumes under them.
   Truth be told, I had never read any of his works for moral reasons *clears throat* (save one, a mini-comic), but had seen the pages of his first manga, MBQ  and knew right away that this guy not only takes his work seriously, but he truly understands what it is to tell a good story and stay authentic.  
   I applaud for what he believes in and what he’s doing because I too am the same way.
He later moved to Japan and created Peepo Choo. Three volumes later, he’s back in the States, working on some projects, one namely Freelancers.
   Again, I don’t like to promote smut/dirty-ness, so be warn that his stuff so far are not for anyone under 18.

   Okay, main point of this post: Felipe Smith’s truth on comics, which he bust myths about manga. I believe that this needs to be known because I’m tired of people thinking that manga means Japanese comics, notice the keyword Japanese, and not that manga means comics. I know that we call Japanese comics manga to differentiate their stuff from ours, but for me, I see it as a form of a hindrance.  I mean as an artist/writer alone, comics is comics, regardless of the culture or location, it's an art form, a format. I believe that's one of the reasons why the Japanese are so great with their comics and animated shows and films (noticed I didn't say anime). If you a creator see it that way, then possibilities are endless.  If you want to do what the Japanese do in term of creating comics their way, then at least do yourself and the readers a favor and understand how and why Japanese comics work.  I just recently found out that American manga artists aren’t getting the attention and the respect they want by American readers because people rather read Japanese-style comics by Japanese from Japan for purist reason. I don't know about all that. For me I avoid them for a different reason and this could be the same reason why American readers shun them as well: it’s crap!  It’s crap because they don’t get it.  They don’t get it because they think it’s all about the large glistening eyes, heart shape face, 45 degree angle nose and a broken line call mouth.  They're only scratching the surface. There is soul in their art.  This can also apply to American-style indie comickers and graphic novelists, but I’ll get into that in another post.
     And it’s funny when I hear people say they want to go to Japan and become a mangaka. I’m not laughing at them, just shaking my head because, and Felipe Smith confirmed it, it’s not for everyone. This is reality. Japanese people believe in working before sunup and after sundown.  We Americans are hardworking people as well, I mean, why else are we not getting enough sleep and live off of Mickey-D’s and energy drinks, and top of that we're getting fat because of what I’ve listed. But imagine not having time to spend with your love ones, even around the holidays. Imagine not having time for yourself because it’s all being used on trying to meet a deadline.  You work, work, work, and hadn’t slept in 2 days straight. Need proof?  Meltcast 72

Anyways (I’m going off track), here’s the list. I have listed all my sources, they best I can. 

1.    In America, you have comics (American-style comics) and you have manga (Japanese-style comics). To the Japanese, that's absurd to put division in an art form.  There’s no differentiation in comic. Comic is comic. Meltcast 72 13min, 14 secs
2.    Reality vs Fiction. Our reality vs Japanese reality. 
              Felipe: I have had this conversation with editors — I say, “I don’t know anyone in Japan like this” — but reality in different cultures is different. If I draw someone on a train pulling a gun out of his pants, that’s a harsh reality in this country, but that is not realistic to any Japanese reader. When you are doing something with a global audience in mind, which is what I try to do, you have to plan for these things—what will a Japanese reader see, what will an American. That’s one of the reasons I don’t read a lot of comics as of late in Japan. Now that I have lived there, I see this isn’t Tokyo, nobody behaves this way….  Robot6
3.    Style: Japanese publishers prefer that comic artists be original, “definitely do not want artwork or style or storytelling to mimic others”. They’re always looking for something new. Source: Anime Diet, Meltcast 72  17:46   
 

 As for American comics, well I'll let you watch this instead.


Also, you can listen to these interviews. The first one was recorded back in 2011. The 2nd interview was recorded a couple of months ago. It's great!!!!!!!!!! Keyword: Bakuman 


My closing words: no 2 comic style is perfect, they are great in their own way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment